Thursday 5 June 2014

a one hundred and twenty seventh story...'norman's seventeenth love letter'.

Dear rosy Rosalind:

My toilet water, my scent, my Eau de Cologne – where are you?

Have you sunk into the murky depths without trace? Has one of my letters torpedoed you? Like the Bismarck? (Granted, a poor reference – reading a book on Nazi warships at present).  I dearly hope not, but I realise I have sent seventeen to your four (or is it five?).

Will try not to mention my book in this letter – but please find enclosed a copy of the cover art.  What do you think?  My name does seem to be in rather small proportion to the title, no? 

Best news of the week, meanwhile, was receiving a letter back from none other than Jeffrey Archer (I had asked him for an endorsement for my book).  I was blown away and rather embarrassed at the same time!  Blown away because Archer is one of my literary heroes and one of the literary greats (up there with Hemmingway I always say); embarrassed because I spelled his name Geoffrey instead of Jeffrey (silly me!).  Geoffrey is (apparently and coincidentally) another writer – of military adventures and spy thrillers.  Jeffrey said to look him (Geoffrey) up in lieu – Jeffrey is too busy to endorse my book, but I feel Geoffrey is a sound suggestion and possibly a good bet (will ask Charley). 

Rosalind, if you get the chance when next at your local library (do you have one anymore?), or in the supermarket, or on The Twitter (can you buy and sell there?), be sure to ask or look for Jeffrey’s A Prisoner of Birth.  In a word: quite unbelievably a worthwhile read.  And probably one of two of my favourite books.  The other, you may wonder, is Below the Parapet by Denis Thatcher.

You know, I did so hate (a strong expression I understand) the bile directed toward Margaret Thatcher in the wake of her death – didn’t you?  It not only proved we live in a society where there are plenty of vile, left-winger-cum-protest-singer types around, but that people are so ignorant when it comes to politics.  The Iron Lady made England great again!  And probably did a lot for the rest of the Union too (if not Trade Unions)!  And has victory in the Falkands been forgotten?!

Not by me, at least.

This new lot led by that Farage character seem quite interesting, don’t they?  I like plain speaking, sweetheart, oh yes I do!

Speaking plainly: I love you, Rosalind, and I miss you like a flower misses rain.

Yours magnoliophytically,

Norman.

… in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment