Wednesday 18 June 2014

a one hundred and fiftieth story...'norman's fortieth love letter'.

Dear Rosalind:

My guardian angel.

I know you will not reply to this letter.  You may not even receive it.

Only the Lord himself has a clue what has become of you (or what shall become of me).

Nevertheless, on the off-chance I write.

It is likely I will never see you again.

Tomorrow, we (Willy’s circus band and me) set out on the road.

I: lion tamer.

Willy has made us all sign forms in case we suffer injury or death during the coming season, and since I have no next of kin (and don’t wish to drag Charles into all this – he’s probably already disowned me anyhow since I’ve been out of touch for nearly six months), I have put down your name.

Please forgive me if this is a great nuisance to you – I wasn’t sure who or what else I could do.

And please forgive me for everything else.

I am only a human being - bones, skin and a harmful little brain - and I never asked to be born in the first place.

So the sun sets.

Yours eternally,

Norman.

… free to roam once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment