Friday 6 June 2014

a one hundred and thirtieth story...'norman's twentieth love letter'

Dear Rosalind:

My pretty baby, my babe, my piglet – so very happy!

So very, very, very, very (very) happy you are going to show your exquisite face at my book launch – you, a bullet from the past! (Two broken hearts?).

Yes, you will not regret it. The Slug is a fabulous joint, and they do some great cocktails (ever had an ‘Old Fashioned’ before? Delicious!).  Moreover, it’s in a super location, on Upper Street no less!  (Very glamorous these days – lots of bright young things with money).

I am sure Geoffrey (Archer) will deliver a fantastic speech.  I suggested he talk on an aspect of the Second World War (the SS, or the German Merchant Navy, for example), but he has final say. And I feel I am the only one qualified enough to talk about my book.  And I do want people to come away from the event feeling as if they have learned something (in fact, if Geoff decides to talk about the Korean War we could be in for a treat: have recently picked up his excellent book, Dark Angel, which goes into some detail!).

How are you going to dress, darling Rosalind?  I am going to be sporting a brand new suit – panama style (there is a danger I will look like a drug baron, I suppose, but I shall refrain from wearing gold chains etcetera).  I think I put on the invitation that guests should come in smart casual; I do hope there are no pink polo shirts / orchard suits in sight mind you!

So, who else shall be there? I sense you wanting to know.  Well, I’ve had several responses in the affirmative thus far (which is gratifying and humbling).  Sadly, Jeffrey Archer is unable to come (still too busy), but I suppose this will avoid any confusion on the night (Geoffrey/Jeffrey are phonetically the same, no?), and Carol Thatcher also replied with a ‘much regret unable’.  Never mind!  Hope remains that one of either the Conservative or UKIP representatives for Highbury East will turn up; they should if they want my vote! (Also I do believe politicians should actively support the Arts).

Lastly, I am sorry for my flippant comment in my last note about Fritz.  I would never have him put down (destroyed), unless I moved abroad (quarantine laws are just too complicated overseas to make the hassle of keeping a dog worthwhile).

Toodle-pip!

Yours elatedly,

Norman.

… flying high.

No comments:

Post a Comment