Friday 6 June 2014

a one hundred and thirty first story...'norman's twenty first love letter'.

Dear resplendent Rosalind:

My blackberry, my blueberry, my strawberry tart – how are you?

SO looking forward to seeing you tomorrow (when you get this letter, barring a cock-up from Royal Mail, the launch of Two Broken Hearts will be tomorrow).  I imagine you are getting made-up already!  My panama suit is still at the dry-cleaners, but am about to shuffle out and pick it up; I’ve also bought a fine pair of Gentleman’s loafers for the occasion.

Fritz, bless his canine soul, will be coming along.  He’ll be a good boy - has hardly barked since the whole castration business, and of course, since Bruno’s death (destruction).  I was thinking of dressing him (Fritz) up a little, but don’t wish to emasculate him further by tying a bow around his collar, or something like that.  Perhaps the sight of you, fair Rosalind, might bring the Bull Mastiff out in him again.  I can imagine plenty a male that would go, ‘Woof!’ at your charms and attention (myself included).

Lovely to see the sunshine again, isn’t it?  Thank heavens!  Would look pretty foolish in a panama suit otherwise (its cream coloured, by the way).

Yesterday afternoon, I went and sat up on the Heath (Hampstead), on a bench over-looking the city, and thought how much I love this country!  There is something utterly unique about the English countryside, and you do notice a change when you cross the Severn into Wales (for the worse – I mean its no-mans land between the border and the West Coast).  And while Scotland (I grant you) has its beautiful patches, those wretched midges spoil even these (and I am choosing to ignore all those unsightly wind turbines – the reports of oil running out are, as ever, nothing but scaremongering; though do you know there is even oil in your toothpaste?).

But my mind keeps being drawn back to the book launch.  What an occasion it promises to be!  I have been practising my signature on the back of any old junk mail that plops through the letter box and have arrived at something (I hope you’ll agree when I sign your copy) rather flashy: the key to a celebrity signature is to make it BIG and just about recognisable, and of course, to be sure it can be done in an instant under the flash bulbs, against the full force of a press scrum.

Tomorrow, Ros, I swear will prove (in the long run) worth more than pieces of gold.

Longing to see you – counting down the seconds (literally, it’s a good way to keep any pre-launch nerves at bay).

Yours eventfully,

Norman.

cock clock-watching.   

No comments:

Post a Comment