Friday 21 March 2014

a one hundredth poem...'shell'

I looked down at my hands, and my hands were empty, there was nothing, and I looked at them for a while, what I was waiting for I don’t know, my hands, empty, and somewhere outside there were clamouring voices in the street, inside, I was bent over, looking down at my hands, holding nothing, and gradually the afternoon sun crept around the circumference of the room, and I stayed where I was, looking down at my hands, shiftless, empty, and emptied of everything, in the gathering gloom, the voices sounded until evening then went away, somewhere, I remained, as the room darkened, and it seemed I had no shadow, for I had become a shadow, or a shell, looking down at my hands, still nothing, waiting for nothing, and I knew then I had nothing – now put your ear close to mine, and you will hear the sound of the sea, the fluting wind over a low tide of half-buried memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment