Tuesday 25 March 2014

a ninety first story...'dating profile'

My name is Dilys.  I am 33 years old.  I weigh 300 pounds.  My weight has increased on average 100 pounds every 10 years.  I was abandoned as a child, and consequently I’ve never been sure whether Dilys is/was intended as a boy’s or girl’s name.  And no one else knows, or could care less. 

Today, I am seated on my special chair, in front of my computer.  I am trying to write a dating profile.  But all I can think of is how much I hate my computer.  It’s slow.  When I key in a command, using my big, creamy fingers, at best a red/green LED will flicker for a few seconds, then nothing.  My computer makes me feel impotent – hardly how you want to feel when writing a dating profile!

I also feel anger welling up inside me, and have to swallow hard.  My computer makes me want to cut my dick off some days – what’s the point of having reproductive organs if you can’t use the bleedin’ things anyway?  My computer makes me feel like my pork and beans would be better off served up as genital cassoulet. Ho hum!

Still, it is important to remember that my computer is manufactured by people like me, therefore, it is understandable that it takes on alarmingly human characteristics.  Sadly though, I get no satisfaction from violence, as a large proportion of the rest of my species seem to do, and see no point in lobbing my computer out of the window, slow or otherwise.  If I did so, I might as well follow.

Anyhow, I did love a girl once upon a time.  She even consented to have sexual intercourse with me.  Was she mad?  Quite possibly.  Again, like most of my species, she had never been certified sane.  Nonetheless, I weighed only 220 pounds back then – I was 22.  Her name was Fearne.  She had a complicated relationship with alcohol.

Nevermind.

And eventually, the pop-up window where I can enter my dating profile-data loads.  It has taken nearly 25 minutes, during which time I’ve consumed two corn dogs, and a half a litre of cola.  Life is stressful. 

Once I have entered the basic data, including my name – although this is not elementary in itself as I’ve already explained – I come to the box marked ‘hobbies/interests’.  I want to enter computer games, but decide against it, and as everyone else does in this situation I write Dostoyevsky, hate myself for it, and then follow up with Russian literature.

Hell, what kind of date am I looking for? Someone/thing from an intelligent species? Of course not, or I’d be chatting online to a bottlenose dolphin – in morse code.  What I am really after is someone/thing who’ll put Crime and Punishment in the toaster or the bin as soon as the alternative of sex is offered.

… Yet, I continue.

The next box asks if I want kids.

The one after that asks if I like dogs or cats, puppies or kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment