Thursday 6 February 2014

a seventy fourth poem...'day off'

Spent the morning eating chocolate – rolling each square around and around with my tongue, until the chocolate melted, and coated the roof of my mouth.  Then I’d wash it away with a swig from a flask of strong, dark coffee, put my feet up, and gaze out into the small garden.  The rain had left standing water in places, and droplets of rain still clung to the bare branches of the apple trees, and when a bird alighted, the branches shook imperceptibly and the droplets of rain shuddered from them, back into the sinking ground.  The sky was overcast, the cloud cover giving a grey-purple light to the garden which made the lawn seemed greener than ever - almost fluorescent, but for the brown, leafy puddles.  The house was gloomy, but I was enjoying the natural light, and the dull shades of colour it gave to the living room.  And because of the rain, humdrum sounds from outside were dampened, and all I could really hear was the low splutter of the gas boiler, and the slow ticking of the nautical clock, that once belonged to my father, on the mantelpiece.  I was wearing my thick cotton socks, and an old Guernsey, things were warm and peaceable. And I had a second-hand paperback with me in case I felt the need to exert myself, but I did not, was content instead to open a page at random and inhale the dry, sweet smell of old paper, idly dreaming up a lazy narrative of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment