Friday 5 April 2013

a reflection...'leaving facebook'

Do you go to bed with your iPad?

Do you dream of electric sheep?

This morning..

..I woke up and left Facebook.

~


The nature of my relationship with Facebook, however, is not the reason behind my decision to deactivate my account.

I am not a Facebook addict.  I do not have a smart phone with internet capability, or spend any more than five minutes a day on Facebook.  I also do not feel Facebook is yet supplanting my physical relationships – these (I hope) remain strong and grounded in honest reality.  I do not even have particular issue with people using Facebook to present a cleaned up version of themselves, or with them using Facebook as an avatar.

Absolutely not really.

No, I left because of a wider concern about what the internet and our relative dependence on it is doing to us, especially (why of course!) ME.

~

Facebook, the internet, and ME.

Facebook, to me, is a portal to the World Wide Web.  An alluring gateway to the endless prairies of the internet one can wander through while the outside world turns over; the infinite cyber space, where one can leap and bound from one hyperlink, one piece of infotainment to another.

While much of this is fun, and at times highly stimulating, is our (mine, yours?) recreational internet use worth anything beyond being an exercise in light amusement, a means of simply passing (killing?) the time?

~

My fear is that I am at least in danger of changing as a result of my internet use.

(oh no, not change!!)

As I use the internet with increasing frequency when at leisure (on top of the 7-8 hours a day at work, 5 days a week), I worry my brain is being re-wired in what in a neurological sense is a natural response to learning a new environment, or way of being.

However, though it may seem a hyperbolic parallel, persistent recreational use of internet can be thought of as similar to the experience of persistent recreational drug use, namely front brain stimulants such as cocaine.

There is the same alluring portal (Facebook or Your Happy Drug Pushing Friend), the energising and highly stimulating initial buzz (Your Favourite Web Pages or The Hit), the feeling of being in tune with others (or Being Online), and then as the transient effects wear off there ensues a futile search for more of the same which can last, have you trapped in a cycle, and leave you with a feeling of dissatisfaction and discomfort at having foregone more Real experiences, whether it be reading a book, painting a picture, walking in the countryside or enjoying the good company of friends, pressing flesh etcetera.

My experience is that if this cycle of being continues for a concerted period of time, one’s attention fragments, and one’s capacity for absorbing the information that one is presented with (the words on a page) or surrounded by (new blossom on a tree) on a daily basis deteriorates, as well as one’s real awareness and ability to internalise, reflect on the very same information, and be moved (what do the words on this page actually say; what do they mean?  How lovely the new blossom on the tree; how beautiful the world around me; how in accord with nature I feel at this very moment).

Here, the internet ceases to become an accompaniment to our lives, but one of the central components.

A central component that cannot satisfactorily account for three fifths of real life – touch, taste and smell; a central component that reduces us, partly, to emotionless hunter gatherers, continually in a heightened state of alert, on the move to somewhere or nowhere, unwilling to, incapable of retreat.

Facebook is, for me, the bejeweled and dazzling door to the incorporeal labyrinth of cyberspace where it is (too?) easy to get lost, and indeed lose a part of your Self; a part of what it is to be human, a unique event, and not simply a green-eyed infotainment junkie or a temporal novelty – cookies or no cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment