Wednesday 2 April 2014

a ninety third story...'the city'

I wake up.  It’s grey, early.  A dim light is coming through the curtains, around the sides.  My eyes are heavy and I close them.  Listen to the sound of traffic.  The distant hiss and roar of a jet plane passing overhead.  The white noise of the city.  There are no birds.

When I open my eyes again, it must be half an hour later.  The bedroom is lighter than before, and I can hear the children in the flat next door preparing for school.  I am glad I no longer have to go to school.  I hear a motorbike starting up.  The water pipes in the ceiling. 

The floor is cold when I finally swing my legs out of bed and plant my feet.  The bruise on my big toe still hurts when I flex it.   And the floor needs sweeping.  The city where I live is full of dirt, full of noise – full of people.  But I like it.

The city has colour, thrills, money, buildings, and roads leading everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment