Wednesday 24 December 2014

a twenty first new story...'bad objects'

Justin walked straight up to me and said for me to put it down. He said: ‘You shouldn’t carry bad objects around’. I said: ‘Yes, Justin – I’ll put it down’. ‘Why have you still got it anyhow?’, he asked, eyes hard and mean. ‘I don’t know’, I said, ‘in case they come back’. ‘They isn’t coming back’, Justin said, and took the bottle from my hand, I let him have it. ‘Stay out of it’, he said, and went away to talk to the people in the kitchen. The lights were off in the bar. I let my hands fall to my sides and thought about following Justin into the kitchen, but Jim was still in there and I didn’t want to see Jim after he shouted at me. Besides Jim was bigger than me – even bigger, Justin said. ‘You big lummox’, Jim said. And together they dragged the man away who was causing trouble. The man had blood all over his face and his shirt was soaked with blood, and there was blood on the floor of the bar. ‘Don’t worry’, said Justin, ‘we’ll sort this’. The man was sleeping with blood all over him. ‘Where did he get that bottle from?’, Chef asked, meaning me.  Jim shouted at Chef too, and he nearly went for Chef, but Justin held Jim back, and the man kept on sleeping. And I kept a tight grip on the bottle in case the man waked up and went for me again. Then Justin came back and asked why I still had the bottle. I let him have it and waited while Justin and Jim and Chef and the others talked in the kitchen. I wondered where the man who caused the trouble was sleeping. There were harsh voices coming from the kitchen. And yellow light spilling out into the bar where I waited. And some more men came around and threw a rock at the windows of the bar, one of the windows smashed, and there was lots of shouting and glass, and Justin, Jim and Chef called for the police. And they came with their blue lights and big, square faces and clubs and heavy black boots and they wanted to talk to me as well as Justin but Justin wouldn’t let them, said I couldn’t talk anyway and so I didn’t say anything, and when they went Jim came over, pulled my cheek and said I done well. I asked him if the man who caused trouble was still asleep, and Justin said to Jim they had better go and check and Chef gave me a glass of water and waited with me until it got light and Justin and Jim came back with long, tired faces – and Chef started crying and saying he never meant to get into this game, and saying what about Elaine? And what about the baby?

No comments:

Post a Comment