Saturday 24 May 2014

The Honest Son

‘This is Castle and Allied Finances, L. speaking. How may I direct your call?’
‘Uh, hi. There was a problem with my account, a transaction made in error.’
‘Name?’
‘Jensen, W.E. Jensen.’
There was a pause.
‘Jensen, W.E. Jensen?’
‘Yes.’
‘I’ll put you right through.’
There was a click then a gap.
‘Angajan speaking.’
‘Hello, I hope I have the right department. There was a transaction made in error…’
‘This isn’t a department. This is Angajan.’
‘Oh, well, the right person I mean…’
‘I doubt you can say, or I can say, whether you have the right person, for it is always entirely contextual. The entity who can help you may be a department, or a division, or a person, a subsidiary… you get the picture. Your problem may be solvable by any one of our constituent bodies, but it appears you have been transferred directly to me by the clerk, which suggests either you are a very notable user of our services, there was an error, or, more insidiously, you used fraudulent means to get through to I, Angajan.’
‘Well… I merely spoke to the operator, stating my name and issue… if it seems important enough to come directly to you, that was the decision of the operator, and certainly not driven by any deception.
‘You acquit yourself well, in the circumstances. It seems you are an intelligent user of our services, but I will not be misled by your trickery with words.’
‘I’m not trying to trick anyone. I would like the error on my account corrected, that is all. Can you help me?’
‘At this time, it would be too early say whether any of my actions would help or hinder your cause. Of course, I could direct a clerk or assistant to correct the imbalance on your account this minute, in fact, I have a clerk bringing me your details as we speak, so I will see for myself. However, although this may correct your immediate complaint, in the long term this may be problematic. It can be very hard to assess the impact of decisions like this, especially in a complex case such as yours.’
‘Hold on, this isn’t a complex case. There was a simple mistake…’
‘Mistake, or error, as you stated before?’
‘Mistake, error… What’s the difference? There isn’t…’
‘I hasten to correct you, please pardon me. You have added another layer to this, as a decision on whether it was a mistake or an error must be made, and this will require deliberation by the interested parties, of which there are many.’
‘I don’t see how… who could all these interested parties be?’
‘Ah, these decisions are necessarily made in private, behind closed doors as it were, preventing outside influences from stifling objectivity and having a bearing on a satisfactory outcome. In fact, I myself am close to having conversed with you too long to be permitted to take part in this decision-making process, and as you have petitioned me so carefully, I’d assume that you would want my input on the ruling on your case?’
‘I suppose that would be for the best, however, were I to have the opportunity to petition another, as you put it, I may be able to reach outcome more quickly, at the least, which again, would be preferable for a busy… official such as yourself.’
‘Oh, you flatter me and through that show your craftiness once again. The only concession I can make to you, within the strict parameters of my role in this organisation, is to transfer your call to the basic account management commission, since I have now received your details from a clerk and it is clear that the transfer of your call directly to me was made in error, due to your specific phrasing to the operator, L., who is inexperienced and did not recognise a coincidence for what it was, and instead believed you to be of a tier of users of our service that you are not. I forgive L. for that, but I will direct you now to where your call should be. As for whether I will involve myself further in your case, I cannot say.’
‘So who…’
‘Goodbye.’
There was a click, a hum, and a gap.
Then:
‘Good morning, Castle and Allied Finances. This is the account transition committee. How can I be of assistance?’
‘Good morning, there was an issue with my account, with a transaction made in error, which I want correcting. But, account transition? I don’t want to change account or upgrade or anything.’
‘Account transition refers to any change in an account, not only changes to account types, but every transfer of funds, names, goods or other parameters. So you are through to the right place.’
‘Thank you, that’s very reassuring, especially after the conversation I just had with your colleague.’
‘The reception clerk, L.? Yes, L. is a little inexperienced, so I can only apologise if it was difficult for you…’
‘Oh, no, L. was fine, but I was just talking to Angajan?’
‘Angajan? Are you sure? My trace record states that your call came from reception. How did you come to speak to Angajan?’
‘I used the code word, not that it did me much good.’
‘From Angajan to this committee, that is a most unusual step. If you were through to Angajan, ordinarily you’d have no need to speak to us.’
‘Well, Angajan supported my cause but he said that the help from your department would be invaluable.’
‘This isn’t a department, it’s a committee; a common mistake. It sounds like you did well with Angajan, he is well known for being… aloof and difficult. Now, pardon me, but what was he like?’
‘Excuse me? He was, he spoke highly of your committee. Why, aren’t you colleagues?’
‘Well, in the strictest sense of the word, for we are ultimately both on the Castle and Allied Finances payroll, although he is most certainly in the direct service of the Directors, whereas my committee is indirectly paid through our parent agency… Anyway, he is an inscrutable one, and it was unprofessional of me to ask about him.’
‘No problem, I take it he has some high standing in the company, and perhaps I will be able to tell you more once the problem at hand has been addressed.’
‘Of course. Please be more specific about the issue with your account, and I will try to guide you through a satisfactory transition.’
‘The issue is a transaction that wasn’t supposed to be made, and I’d like it reversed.’
‘This was a transaction between you and whom?’
‘Me and Standard Investments, Provisions and Non-provisions.’
‘I see it on your records.’
‘So? Can you help? I’ve been on the phone a long time…’
There was a break, and an intake of breath.
‘You can’t rush these things, with all due respect. I’ve dealt with Standard Investments, Provisions and Non-provisions before. They have their own certain kind of complexity, and we have to be careful not to contravene any of their rules.’
‘Sure, they might not want the transaction reversed, but can they really stop you?’
‘Your misunderstanding of your situation continues. The nature of the transaction, which you have now made clear, transforms the situation. It no longer falls within the remit of the Account Transition Committee. I will have to transfer your call to the Misaligned Structures Conference.’
‘Hang on! I need…’
A hissing noise responded.
‘Hi, this is the Misaligned Structures Department, how I can I help you?’
‘Department, I was told I was being passed to the Misaligned Structures Conference, and I believe these things matter…’
‘Conference, Department, what difference does it make? Ah, your records have just come through the tube. Please, for security please state your name.’
‘W.E. Jensen.’
‘Thank you. Now… Oh! Jensen? You will know my brother!’
‘Your brother? No, I doubt it, Let’s…’
‘Yes, yes, my brother Q.R., he is quite fantastic isn’t he? All that success and yet so humble. Do you know, there was one occasion, you may have heard this story, when he got in the lift in the lobby of his building and clearly the lift operator was new, for he failed to recognise my brother and deliver him straight to his floor, so my brother had to stop at every floor on the way up to the top, picking up and dropping off, and how the people, all his devoted employees mind, gave him such unusual looks, but, the big-hearted giant that he is, he just smiled at each one, and, I say, at the top he gave that lift attendant a most generous tip, like he hadn’t inconvenienced him at all, in fact, as though it has been the smoothest service you could hope for! Ah, that says it all about my brother; you would know of course, he has spoken most fondly of you. I daresay he’d be a good one to have on your side in a tough situation like this transaction made in error and all that guff. Anyway, enough about him, you can call him when you’re finished with me, I will be able to help you with the mal-alignment, let’s not call it a misalignment just yet, for it pays to keep positive. Now, the detail I must check with you, not to question the record-keeping on our documentation, but just to be sure, what is the sum we’re dealing with here?’
‘Seven thousand.’
‘On the nose? Are you sure?’
‘Uh, yes, it was seven thousand.’
‘Well, Standard Investments, Provisions and Non-provisions have it showing as a penny over, and though that sounds negligible, given the sum, we have to quibble over these things to adjust your account back into the alignment we all want.’
‘Excellent, so you will align my account to the tune of seven thousand and a penny?’
‘Oh, certainly not! That falls way beyond the scope of this department. First, the Misaligned Structures Conference will have to deliberate, and the Account Transition Committee will make the, ah, correction, although when Standard are involved, they may even call upon Angajan… although Lord knows he is very busy, so this may be delayed somewhat.’
‘I already spoke to Transition! And to Angajan! They put me through to you!’
A hitch.
‘You spoke to Angajan?’
‘Yes, right after the operator!’
‘Angajan… remarkable, quite remarkable. What… how… what did he say to you? Oh why would I ask, you won’t want to tell me that!’
‘Well, refunding or restructuring or transitioning my account for me… may help to persuade me to tell you about him.’
‘Good Lord, you are attempting to test my ethics! User, trusted user, you may be, but forgive me a little outrage. I have been clear that that is not something I can do, and even if I could…’
‘Please, I didn’t mean… you got the wrong idea, I think.’
‘Oh no, I read you loud and clear. I have no choice but to put you in touch with the Irregularities Council. It is my duty as an employee of Allied Castle Finances to do so, I’m sorry, but this is protocol. Please hold.’
The caller held; what else.
‘You are through to the Irregularities Council. Good day.’
‘Hello, I think there’s been a slip-up here. There is no irregularity, I was just busy sorting out a transaction error and was put though to you.’
A pause.
‘I need to correct you on that.’
‘No, no need, please, just put my call back to the last division.’
‘Firstly, you admit to a slip-up in your being here. Secondly, you describe an error. Already, you present me with two irregularities.’
‘There’s nothing irregular. This is an ordinary, routine, account error that I need you to correct!’
‘There is nothing routine about your case.’
‘Look, I already spoke to Angajan, he understands my case and will vouch for me. Could you just put me back onto him, or speak to him yourself?’
‘Angajan? He may be in a tower at Castle, but this, the Irregularities Council, is the foundation of moral rectitude on which the whole edifice is built. He is of limited significance.’
‘Oh, I see, it’s good to know I’m finally talking to someone important. One simple instruction from you to your staff, and we can finish this call, leaving both us to get on.’
‘Staff? There is no hierarchy in the Irregularities Council. We work in parallel, not in sequence. I have your account here now, in fact I have been following it for some time.’
‘You have?’
‘Indeed. This transaction you say was made in error was always destined to be made. I can see something of a litany of irregularities here.’
‘I don’t know what you mean. I’ve never done anything I shouldn’t have!’
‘Again, I need to correct you there.’
‘What do you mean? Tell me what I am supposed to have done wrong!’
‘Wrong implies a value judgement, which we do not make here. I am merely referring to certain irregularities in your account, and as you know, these are my chief concern. The monies paid to Standard Investments, Provisions and Non-provisions are mere compensation for certain improprieties.’
‘Improprieties? Like I said, there’s nothing off about my dealings!’
‘It would be wrong to point to specific events or transactions, and besides, that is currently confidential information. Your infractions of our terms of service are more concerned with your bearing and demeanour. These transgressions have run through our… professional relationship since you joined Allied Castle Financial. You see, your individualism has been the disputatious topic. This institution has succeeded for a hundred years, based on collaboration and openness between Castle and the users of our services. Pursuing your own goals without full engagement with us and our associates has been a grave failing. You have taken advantage of our structures, methods and advisory systems without concern for the dues such services command. This may have been undetected for some time, for our mechanisms of exposing such contraventions of convention are imperfect, but now your proverbial birds have come home to roost. While neglecting the good of this organisation, you were accumulating dues. Thus there was no error; the correct fee has been levied.’
‘I don’t understand. I was never billed, or invoiced for anything, I haven’t skipped any payments or anything like that! You can’t just charge me seven thousand when you feel like it!’
‘This is the cost of the non-collaborative manner in which you have used our esteemed services. Please understand, this organisation is built on an ideal of honesty, candour and cooperation. Our over-arching purpose requires such an approach. You have behaved contrary to this aspiration. While individuals are vital components of our organisation, they are interchangeable fragments of the whole service. And your continual indiscretions against this ideal were brought to our attention some time ago.’
‘So I have been fined for not sharing enough!? And what do you mean; they were brought to your attention?’
‘A fine is the wrong conception. This is to rebalance your relationship with Castle. We are grateful to certain interested accessories for the information about your… attitude.’
‘Who?’
‘These people vary, some are investors, others are partners, contributors… and, in some cases, those close to our service users who are capable of recognising the greater good.’
‘Someone close to me?’
‘It is true. I can tell you, since the person concerned has now come under our protection, as a member of our Academy, which trains our more junior members in proper fiscal discipline and the ideals of self-sacrifice and truthfulness.’
‘Junior members? You mean children! Are you saying…’
‘Your son is thirteen. The perfect age for entering our Academy. He shows great promise.’
‘Where is he? He should...’
‘We all have much work to do, I am sure. Now I have clarified the situation for you, it is time for me to go. Good day, W.E. Jensen.’

No comments:

Post a Comment