Monday 14 October 2013

a forty fifth poem...'an old shilling'

Walking the dog
One dismal afternoon,
I found myself among
A sight-seeing platoon,
Passing the iron gates
at Buckingham Palace.
There I was along
With the usual throng
of American tourists:
Gee-whizzing,
Holy-rolling, or
Simply scratching
Baseball-capped heads..

..Fretting with the lining
In my cast-off-coat pocket,
The rough edge of a round sprocket
Turned out to be
An old shilling.
Ever keen/willing
I tossed the thing,
 Said:
‘Tails you win’,
To Cromwell - My King Charles Spaniel..

..But he, instead,
(As is his wont)
Was up to knavish tricks,
More bothered about
The steaming pile of horse-shit
Left behind,
By a house-hold cavalry steed,
To pay mind,
Take heed
Of all the ironies
Inherent therein
That happy (and glorious) moment.

1 comment: