Tuesday 19 March 2013

a sixty seventh story...'the rubber tree'

The dogs are dead.  Died within a week of each other.  The dogs, my best friends when I was growing up.  We buried them at the end of the garden, underneath the rubber tree.  If you cut the bark of a rubber tree in a crosshatch fashion, a white, milky colloid issues forth.  This is latex, from which you get natural rubber.  You’re supposed to catch it in an old paint can, or at least that’s what I used to do as a child.  Then you store it up.  The whole process is called ‘tapping’.

When I was young, my father took me to a commercial rubber factory.  The dogs came too - although they had no interest in our rubber tree, beyond it’s convenience as a urinating post.  I remember saying to my father that the rubber being manufactured looked like large loaves of bread or great rolls of shit.  He cuffed me around the ear, told me not to use language like that.  Language like what? I replied.  Goodness knows where you learned to talk that, he sighed.  Then he showed me a part of the factory where the workers – bare-chested Iquitos, naked torsos moist with sweat – were making vulcanised rubber.  The rubber is heated, and sulphur, sometimes carbon are added to improve resistance and elasticity.  When we got back to the car, my father pointed out that the tyres on his Jupiter were made of vulcanised rubber.

It was on the way home from the rubber factory one of the dogs started whining.  And in evening they were both off their dinner.  It’s the heat, said my father.  It’s always hot, I said.  They’ll be alright, he said.  I went to bed worrying about them all the same, but sure enough the next morning on their walk they seemed happy enough – chasing dragonflies, and at regular intervals disappearing into the scrub to ferret out whatever prizes they could find. 

Memory is an interesting thing.  I am typically forgetful.  The kind who goes upstairs and then on the landing wonders what I am doing and why I am there.  What am I looking for? I think to myself.  Then again, there are passages in my life I can recall with near clarity, where events have crystallised in sequence, forever enshrined in the vestiges of my mind.  The week we went to the rubber factory is one of those times.

I can’t say for sure if my recollection stems from the visit to the rubber factory, my first experience of industry of any kind, or now that the dogs are dead, what may have been the first signs of the internal bleeding they would both succumb to, or whether it’s the discovery we made on our morning walk - the dogs and I.

We were about to turn home, on our usual mile long circuit around the plantation grounds, when the dogs, who had disappeared off the overgrown path, started barking loudly and excitedly.  I picked up a broken branch and began beating my way through the brush towards them.  As I approached I became aware of a fetid stench, so bad I had to pull the collar of my shirt over my nose, fighting back the tall grass with my free hand until I saw why the dogs were making such a noise.

If I came upon it now, now that I am middle aged, more easily moved, afraid even, I think it would affect me more than it did back then.  It’s a strange thing, memory.  For when I set eyes on the girl, who could not have been much beyond my eight years, stripped of her clothes, neck snapped, swollen body, blackened and bruised, daylight in her eyes, I recall she reminded me of a discarded Cream of Wheat doll, whose blue and unkissed lips had never, at any moment, breathed life or looked the sallow mask of death in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment