Tuesday 30 October 2012

a forty seventh story...'how I learned to love celery (and stop worrying about 'the bomb')'

Dear Lord:

Up until recently I have been an unreformed individual, living a life without flavour, without meaning, without the One True Entity.  I sowed but never reaped, I was blinded when I should have been seeing with mine eyes.  And I ignored at least three of the fives senses: touch, taste and smell. 

For what is the Holy Trinity without IT? What is a good risotto, so to speak, without the One in Three.  You may use fennel instead and feel self righteous, but self righteousness is without humility, the humility of the humble carrot, the humble onion.  Doth the average working class consumer cook with fennel bulb?  Of course not!

But why cook?  Why adulterate raw sincerity, when to devour fresh fills one with vigour and vitality of spirit!  The clean crunch, the aftertaste of aniseed, pure and unaccompanied by temptation, in the malignant form of seventies incarnations, including A Thousand Island Dressing and Hollandaise Sauce.

Where once I might have crossed the River Styx for a Mars Bar or a packet of Quavers, now I sit content after my lunch time sandwich and munch earnestly on this celestial creation.  Apium graveolens! Now my heart is full.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment